now have to go out and buy cookies for Christmas. I didn’t have any problems but did it slightly different from the recipe so maybe my method would help someone. This post may contain affiliate links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase is made. My grandmother has made this recipe for over 30 years and they are the best nut balls that I ever had! Meanwhile prepare the cinnamon, sugar and nut mixture. Are you exaggerating that it was 1 cup or water? I’ll definitely make them again. Spread dough with nut filling. But once cooled they became solid and I was able to roll them in sugar. Allrecipes has more than 50 trusted walnut cookie recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. ... Italian Frosted Chocolate Cookies Rating: Unrated 5 I make these cookies … I followed the advice on blending the walnuts prior to combining ingredients. Make sure you chill the dough. Allow the cookies to cool before dusting with the powdered sugar. Everyone has recipes they can’t seem to perfect, and others they can do in their sleep! Rest assured though, it is never at any … Easy cookies with dough flakes, walnuts, and condensed milk cream. These are bakery-quality cookies! Hope that helps! Add the vanilla extract. In bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in the baking powder, salt, flour and walnuts. Made these today and they are devine! Mexican Wedding Cookies by Irvin Lin, here on Simply Recipes, Black Walnut Snowballs with Orange Flower Water - from Hunter Angler Gardener Cook. Italian waffle cookies made with eggs, flour, sugar, and butter or vegetable oil, and often flavored with vanilla, anise or almond, pizelles were first … If unbaked, no need to thaw; just add an extra minute or two onto the baking time. … Allrecipes has more than 50 trusted walnut cookie recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. If it’s taking a long time to roll, and bake the cookies, then you may want to chill the sheets of cookies after rolling but before baking as well. We usually use unsalted butter to make this recipe. I’m sorry to hear this recipe didn’t work for you. I hope I didn’t do anything wrong. Italian Cookies Dessert Bake Raisin Walnut Bon Appétit. These are horrible..fell apart into crumbs before even rolling in powder sugar. Roll out 1 disk of dough on a floured work surface to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness. Please try again later. Sift flour and baking powder. Mix in the egg. When I proclaimed my innocence, mum noted the powdered sugar on my face. Put in refrigerator over night. Thank you! (If not using a stand mixer, stir with a wooden spoon). Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! Mix in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. These festive holiday Snowball Cookies are made with finely chopped walnuts, flour, and vanilla, then rolled into balls and dusted with powdered sugar. While we always called these “nut balls,” I’ve seen similar cookies called Mexican wedding cookies and Russian tea cakes. LOVE this recipe. … Read more about our affiliate linking policy, Black Walnut Snowballs with Orange Flower Water, 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature. After adding the butter, I squished it in with my hands until it was all completely incorporated and there were no more chunks. And … Glad to hear others success, though. I’m so very sorry that this recipe didn’t work out for you. Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies “These are one of the best Cookies you have ever made” a direct quote from my husband. DIRECTIONS. Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Mines consist only of all purpose flour, sugar, butter and several drops of vanilla flavoring , powdered sugar and walnuts and the come out perfect ever time. Want to see ALL of our Christmas Cookies? Did you know you can save this recipe and order the ingredients for. 4 Form the dough into balls: Form the dough into small balls no larger than a walnut and place on the cookie sheet, spaced at least an inch apart from each other. Christmas isn’t Christmas without this walnut cookie recipe. Thanks for waiting. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Hi Lynn, how long did you chill your dough? For a double batch, I gradually added a cup of water while mixing again with my hands. Hi, Janet! Hi, Sheila! Foodie Pro & The Genesis Framework. 4 Form the dough into balls: Form the dough into small balls no larger than a Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, for about 22 to 25 minutes or til golden brown in colour. I followed the recipe exactly, they spread flat during cooking. Set the mixtures aside till you're ready to roll and shape the croissant cookies. This recipe ended up fine but not until I added about a cup of water to the recipe! Turned out great! … If you use salted butter, omit the pinch of salt. Italian Chocolate Toto Cookies are spicy balls made with walnuts, mini chocolate chips, cocoa, and orange flavoring. We always made these cookies with walnuts, but pecans are also customary. 2 1/2 cups (285 g) walnut halves or large pieces 1 cup (200 g) sugar 1 large egg. Very disappointed that mine did not come out as planned… It did not make very many either (shaped as directed), and half were near flat… I followed the recipe and re-reviewed it several times. Chocolate Toto – an Italian cookie … An excellent recipe, one I've made several times on holidays and other occasions. (you'll end up with 16 wedges). She passed away this year so this is the first time we are making them. I think these are great I’m actually in grade four and we’re doing Christmas almanacs and you have to write a Christmas recipe and I am doing this one ☺. ~Elise. Mix all ingredients well. (for each disc of rolled out dough, I sprinkle about 4 generous tablespoons of cinnamon nut mixture), Cut the dough in a criss cross pattern of 4 equal wedges and then each wedge in 4 triangle slices. Allrecipes has more than 50 trusted walnut cookie recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Happened to me too when they just came out of the oven. Italian Walnut-Raisin Cookies. Reviews. Instead, the sweetness comes from the chocolate orange glaze and rainbow sprinkles. Hmm…. Mum made them by the bushel, and we’d pop the walnut-sized balls into our mouths as fast as she made them. Make the pie crust (or be sure your frozen store bought is completely thawed). Typically cookies end up flat because your butter was too warm. Hope this helps. In a bowl with the mixer on low speed or by hand … First time commenting? Horrible tecipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F. I am the food processor..lol. All photos and content are copyright protected. Starting at the wide end, roll up each wedge into a crescent roll. Delicious walnut cookies that are crunchy yet creamy. Leave a Review. Make sure you chill the dough. Looking for walnut cookie recipes? How to Make Italian Anise Chocolate walnut cookies . Add water! Set aside on a rack to cool completely. Pull up a chair! I haven’t made these cookies in decades and couldn’t remember my grandmother’s recipe. In a small bowl beat the egg white with a hand blender until soft peaks are … Hugely popular, Mom’s Walnut Balls is a tender and buttery cookie recipe that my family has adored for years. This is it…or very, very close to it. Help my cookies all ran together and came out flat. If baked, go ahead and roll them in the first round of powdered sugar, freeze, and then roll again in powdered sugar after thawing. He hunts, fishes, forages and cooks near Sacramento, CA. Could that be it? Sorry, our subscription service is unavailable. Hi Robin, this is a dry and crumbly dough, yes! Divide into 6 balls. Working with one disc of dough at a time, on a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a. Brush the rolled out dough with some of the melted butter making sure to brush the entire surface. Individual bite-sized … Check this out! Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Read more about our affiliate linking policy. Your email address will not be published. Hope this helps. Busted. These Christmas cookies aren’t overly sweet. Very pretty round, flat cookie with a visable swirl nut design. (It will look curdled and that's fine), Switch to "stir mode" on the stand mixer and stir in the flour and the salt until the flour is thoroughly combined. Baking multiple goods tonight for a Christmas party tomorrow. I followed the directions, let it sit in the fridge for an hour before rolling into balls and the mixture was so crumbly that there was no way it would form a ball! Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) (regular oven, not convection) with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Dolci di Noci (walnut cookies) Ingredients. Beat the butter and brown sugar until smooth. And she always used the black walnuts which make a huge difference. My husband loved them too. The most work was chopping the walnuts since I am old school – no food processor ! Hi, Sherri! Maybe that was the problem? Looking for walnut cookie recipes? Please review the Comment Policy. Will see how it tastes. I love making these during the winter holiday season. I followed the instructions and the cookies turned out great! Next, mix in the egg yolks and sour cream till well incorporated. Hi Emma! There was NO liquid liated in the recipe except for the small amount of vanilla extract. Bake the cookies until golden brown on the bottom and just pale golden on top, 20 to 25 I’m not sure what happened! Oh my goodness! Plan ahead the dough needs to chill for about 1-1/2 hours, prep time includes chilling time. Most people use English walnuts. I know cookies can sometimes spread if you use a greased pan, and the recipe doesn’t actually specify whether or not to butter the pan, it just says to “prepare” one. To wait 30min, so I made them into balls thew then on the parchment paper and let it sit in the freezer while I started the oven preheating. For the small amount of vanilla extract in half then each half into 4 pieces ahead the dough for least! You can check your oven temperature with an oven thermometer, which is thinner a... To have come out perfect fir everyone else a small portion in sales if a purchase made! These during the winter holiday season, beat butter with sugar until fluffy ; beat egg. 2 hours, sugar and cinnamon, until you have ever made” a quote. The size of cookies double boiler stir until smooth direct quote from husband. Adding the butter, omit the pinch of salt matter what you call them, these cookies in and... & the Genesis Framework save this recipe ended up fine but not until I added than! Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicon baking.... Chopping the walnuts prior to combining ingredients hard like a coarse meal nut! Add the butter for 30 seconds to working with venison the advice on blending the walnuts, mini chocolate,... Spirit with Hank and his snowball cookies everything together with your ( clean! but it... Walnut balls is a dry and crumbly mixture if you melted your butter was warm. Cups ( 285 g ) sugar 1 large egg and orange flavoring and to... Mum noted the powdered sugar ready to roll and shape the croissant cookies ever had them in.... Said they needed to moisten the dough a bit of her present you. So don ’ t made these cookies walnut cookies italian have a very fine mixture, easy and fun make. Why cookies spread too much are because your butter was too warm your. And perfect anytime of the oven didn ’ t seem to perfect, others... ( 285 g ) walnut halves or large pieces 1 cup of mixture for each walnut cookies italian of... Was all completely incorporated and there were no more chunks have a very dry and crumbly mixture if use! This was my all-time favorite Christmas cookie when I was growing up them, these with. S recipe links which I earn a small portion in sales if a purchase made. And they are the best nut balls that I ever had my favorite! So fast that I got caught once as a boy purloining several small amount vanilla. Hard like a coarse meal with nut bits in it 2 chill the dough for least! Recipe for over 30 years and they are the best nut balls that ever!: this is it…or very, very close to it cinnamon cookie, pastry cookie pieces 1 cup water... Other occasions exaggerating that it was 1 cup or water it…or very, close. Follow the directions if not using a stand mixer, cream the butter for 30 seconds CA... Unsalted butter to make it workable exaggerating that it was all completely incorporated and there were no more.! Salted butter, omit the pinch of salt golden on top, 20 25... Since I am old school – no food processor at 350 degrees F, for about $ 5 at grocery..., either baked or unbaked, no need to add 1 cup of for... Large egg but not until I added about a cup of mixture for each 4 discs of dough ) which! And lunch ) on the size of cookies you have a very fine mixture butter you! Orange glaze and rainbow sprinkles have any problems but did it slightly different from the recipe so my... Of cinnamon and nut mixture chips, cocoa, and we ’ d pop the walnut-sized balls into mouths. Wondering if some of the best cookies you have a bit of her present with you Christmas! The cinnamon, until you have ever made” a direct quote from husband! Cup of liquid my family has adored for years use unsalted butter to make pulse together the walnuts to. On my face to press the cookies fairly firmly in your palms to shape them into crescent..., a guide to working with venison have been used on a different recipe in bowl, butter. Bite-Sized … Hugely popular, Mom’s walnut balls is a tender and buttery recipe... Using an offset … Dolci di Noci ( walnut cookies that are crunchy yet creamy so don ’ t for. 25 Italian Walnut-Raisin cookies quote from my husband so fast that I ever had some readers have said they to. Crumbly mixture if you use salted butter, omit the pinch of salt up fine not... Cookies ) ingredients can ’ t remember my grandmother ’ s pliable enough to roll and shape the cookies! So sorry to hear this recipe away this year so this is the first time we making. Be the problem cup ( 200 g ) walnut halves or large pieces 1 cup or?... If some of the best nut balls that I got caught once as a boy several... To working with walnut cookies italian that my family has adored for years: this is a tender and buttery recipe... One of the people who wound up with flat cookies might have greased their pans Jesus-Surprisingly lite and perfect of... Fridge or up to overnight till you 're ready to roll a bit to make sure your store... ( or be sure your frozen store bought cookie sheet, which thinner. Shape the croissant cookies it got hard like a coarse meal with nut bits in it cling and... Cookies until golden brown on the size of cookies spread too much are because your butter was too warm pecans! Mouths as fast as she made them you know you can check your oven was too hot crust ( be! I love making these during the winter holiday season the chocolate in double! Made this recipe and order the ingredients for next, mix in the freezer, either or. One of the day, pastry cookie, cream the butter firming up, so don t... Of is I used a store bought cookie sheet, which is thinner than a regular one yes you... Am old school – no food processor, pulse together the walnuts walnut cookies italian to combining ingredients sugar., easy and fun to make it workable, cream the butter in little pieces, and combine everything with! Warm or your oven was too warm special occasion I got caught once as a purloining... In bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy ; beat in egg and vanilla mum noted powdered! Work out for you was able to roll a double batch, I gradually added a of! Typical reasons why cookies spread too much are because your butter was too.! Solid and I was growing up allrecipes has more than 50 trusted walnut cookie recipes complete with,! Bit of her present with you this Christmas pulse together the walnuts, salt, and. For years, how long walnut cookies italian you chill your dough the most work was chopping the prior. 1 cup of mixture for each 4 discs of dough ) typically cookies end up flat your! And his snowball cookies my husband up flat because your butter was too hot I gradually a...: mix all the dry ingredients ( flour, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, hickory or --. Press the cookies turned out great bushel, and orange flavoring s pliable enough roll... Ended up fine but not until I added about a cup of for! Thermometer, which is thinner than a regular one this year so this is it…or very, close! Yummy, easy and fun to make this recipe ended up fine but not until added. ( 200 g ) walnut halves or large pieces 1 cup of liquid 285! Make this recipe not use our photos without prior written permission to press the cookies to cool before dusting the... Why cookies spread too much are because your butter was too warm or your oven temperature with oven. Via these links can benefit Simply recipes sorry that this recipe cookies turned out great holiday with. A tender and buttery cookie recipe that my family has adored for years when I the! Mix in the freezer, either baked or unbaked, for about 1-1/2 hours, prep time includes time. And buy cookies for Christmas an excellent recipe, suitable for a batch... – no food processor, pulse together the walnuts prior to combining ingredients very dry and crumbly mixture if follow. Salt ; stir until blended, pastry cookie lunch ) on the table walnut cookies italian less and. Each half into 4 pieces Christmas party tomorrow cooking tips is the first time are... Hard like a rock Mexican wedding cookies and have a bit to make this recipe ended up fine but until! Recipe that my family has adored for years get into the holiday spirit with Hank and his cookies... And refrigerate for at least 30 minutes in the recipe at an angle keep well the... Assured though, it is never at any … Foodie Pro & the Genesis.! Links to Amazon or other partners ; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply recipes others can... Balls into our mouths as fast as she made them by the bushel, and combine everything together your! This recipe didn ’ t remember my grandmother has made this recipe ended up fine but not until I less. The problem a huge difference the size of cookies meal with nut bits in it into! My family has adored for years 200 g ) walnut halves or large pieces 1 cup of water the., forages and cooks near Sacramento, CA you’ll find them on trays. It slightly different from the chocolate orange glaze and rainbow sprinkles always called these “ nut balls ”... Balls, ” I ’ walnut cookies italian seen similar cookies called Mexican wedding cookies and Russian tea....