Appearance and Sound – If you handled a lot of Bakelite in your time then this method is likely the one you would use most often. Scrubbing Bubbles – Not Recommended. Below are her results. The last thing I want to do is misinform anyone. Ultimately, Bakelite was replaced by other plastics that shared its desirable qualities, but could also take bright colors.”  – American Chemical Society E Beef Fat Oil pure A Beeswax pure 6 A tBeet Salt 5 aq. I still cannot smell the Bakelite even with a baking soda rub, but the yellow tint helps a lot. Dish soap can be added if a different texture is preferred. of water. The material should give off the odor of formaldehyde, since phenol formaldehyde, plus filler material, is the material with which vintage Bakelite was made. See one of the machines used by Bakelite here. Although it is easier to see with the baking soda, which makes me think it might have one up on simi there. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. However there are a few fairly simple ways of That’s why baking soda makes for much sweeter tomatoes. Commercial baking soda and baking powder are two key ingredients that are essential to baking, but unless you’re a frequent baker, a container will last a long time. As it smells like burnt milk or wet wool with a heat test. So you ask, “how do I do this?!?”. Be sure to read the follow up, it is pretty interesting and may answer some questions you have. Cyanoacrylate glue is the industrial name for what is commonly known as “Crazy Glue” or “Super Glue”. Yes! How It Works Unlike traditional adhesives which are water-based, cyanoacrylate glue is composed of an acrylic resin. Just moisten a cotton swab, dip in baking soda and rub gently. Posted to the ebay jewelry and gemstones forum. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), View BunnyFindsVintage’s profile on Facebook, View bunnyfindsvintage’s profile on Instagram, How To Test Bakelite With Baking Soda – Follow Up, How To Test Bakelite With Baking Soda – Follow Up | Child Of The 80's, Follow Child Of The 80's on WordPress.com. Fillers – Fillers were used to strengthen the phenol formaldehyde resin. Keep in mind there are many other What are synonyms for Bakelite? Back in September 2015 I as cleaning a few Bakelite handled utensils when I ran into pesky thrift store sticker residue. Galalith started as a failed attempt to produce a plastic material specifically for “whiteboards,” intended to replace... Read more » Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Bakelite contains Formaldehyde. Unfortunately, it was quite brittle and had to be strengthened by “filling” with other substances, usually cellulose in the form of sawdust. Dish detergent can be added if a different texture is preferred. As the world’s first synthetic plastic Bakelite is credited with ushering in the Polymer Age, also called the Age of Plastics (3). Persistent stuck-on food can be scrubbed off with a paste of baking soda and water or non-abrasive cleaners. There is no good reason to poke anything with a hot pin. I agree with those that say the smell and experience are the best tools. As you can see, some pieces tested darker than others. Place the jewelry in a tea ball or small strainer so the item isn't accidentally dropped into the drain. There are, however, a couple of tests that, coupled with a decent working acquaintance with the product, will help you determine whether a piece is legitimate: The Hot Water Test. (supersedes all previous copies) Date: June 2017 To the best of our knowledge, the technical data contained herein is true and accurate at the date of insurance and are subject to change without prior notice. One of these formulations was brought to the attention of German doll maker Käthe Kruse in 1939. Besides, it prevents any fungal diseases on plants and if sprinkled around, is a natural snail repellent and slug killer. All the handles I tested were red and a little worn. Cannot be Molded – It was produced in sheets and tubes and worked by hand. Almost immediately the baking soda started to turn nicotine yellow. In 1984, a so-called "Philadelphia" Bakelite bracelet–a hinged style with multicolored wedges on top–sold for $250. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Use caution and do not rub hard, be sure to test, like with anything else, in an inconspicuous area. The smell test - If your sniffer works good, this is a great way to test. It also has a ton of other uses. True Bakelite produces a yellow, tobacco-like color. Bakelite contains Formaldehyde. There is a mix of different plastics from different eras and none of them had the reaction that Bakelite did. Pros – Readily available and works great on certain pieces. I put this to the test trying out different plastics. These pieces tested positive with Simichrome prior to testing with baking soda. It was used in all sorts of products – from industrial items to housewares, from game pieces to jewelry. Bakelite, an early plastic, was popular with designers and was an early form of polymer clay, but the phenol base of uncured Bakelite was flammable and was eventually discontinued. The baking soda turned yellow. Club soda even returns the sparkle to precious gemstones such as diamonds, emeralds, sapphires and rubies. How To Test Bakelite With Baking Soda Back in September 2015 I as cleaning a few Bakelite handled utensils when I ran into pesky thrift store sticker residue. For a seasoned Bakelite collector this is easy peasy. Just dampen a Q-Tip, dip it baking soda and rub gently for about 30 seconds. The manufacturers of these glass baking dishes have responded to all the recent criticism, saying that these people that were injured were not following the directions on the packaging properly. So I published a follow up blog to this one with some great info I collected via research. Bakelite – Phenol formaldehyde resin Opaque, This photo and the one under Catalin were taken of dice that my Jason held onto from his Grandfather. Pros – Is usually dependable for testing pieces and is a great polish to have on hand. in this video i well be guling hard plastic together. I do a lot of baking during the holidays and throughout the year but I still check often to make sure my ingredients are fresh. But can pass a smell test. How to Do a Baking Soda Test Place 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a cup and add 2 teaspoons vinegar. 6 Tests to Authenticate Bakelite - The Spruce Crafts. Let's test! There will be facts and links below for this as well. So I grabbed my trusty box of baking soda and went about removing it. I am no expert, nor am I genius. This was the first blog I did on this. If a piece is lacquered, it … Dish detergent can be added if a different texture is preferred. This blog is meant to be more informational than entertaining, so please excuse the lack of bells and whistles. If a piece is lacquered, it may test negative with 409. Instead of scouring it with steel wool or harsh detergents, which can damage the finish, go natural. Synonyms for Bakelite in Free Thesaurus. These fail the cotton swab test and have a mold seam. You can smell it when the piece is run under hot water or rubbed with your finger to create friction. Some say it has tested positive for Bakelite, others say it hasn’t. User must contact … Turns out baking soda will give a positive result as well. So I grabbed my trusty box of baking soda and went about removing it ; e the sex of baby There is some science behind the test. It is quite easy. Polymer clays were first formulated as a possible replacement for Bakelite. Please do not do this. Just dampen a Q-Tip, dip it baking soda and rub gently for about 30 seconds. ( Log Out /  2 words related to Bakelite: trademark, plastic. Pieces that do not pass a substance test can pass the smell test. Most people test with 409, Simichrome or the hot pin test (NEVER DO THAT!). Lexi Lewis of My Gilded Magpie provided a test and photos of two napkin rings. How to Decide if it's Old, Repro, Fake or a Look-alike. None of this is meant to be misinformation. So when I discovered that baking soda appears to be just as effective for testing Bakelite as Simichrome is, I never dreamed I would learn so much. Note just about all of us that contributed tested other plastics to be sure there was no reaction. No weird looks from strangers for rubbing a bracelet and smelling it or pulling out a “kit”. The pic is not fab, but the simi did turn yellow. Bulk Handling Global: Bulk solids and powder flow properties testing, silo and hopper design, discharge and conveyor technology: www.bulksolidsflow.com/ Baekeland considered the possibilities of using a wide variety of filling materials, including cotton, powdered bronze, and slate dust, but was most successful with wood and asbestos, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), View BunnyFindsVintage’s profile on Facebook, View bunnyfindsvintage’s profile on Instagram, Posting publicly on Facebook and things you should consider…, How To Test Bakelite With Baking Soda | Child Of The 80's, Follow Child Of The 80's on WordPress.com. It is quite easy. Tonya Arnold of Tahoe Tonya’s tested this black bracelet and got a very faint result. 19) The smell test – If your sniffer works good, this is a great way to test. A Barium Sulfate as is A Barley Oil pure A Bayberry—Oil of 25 c.o. Photo and tests provided by Niki of Past to Pretty. You are seeing Simichrome on your left and baking soda on your right. Again, it turned nicotine yellow. Bakelite is opaque due to fillers, can stand up to compression molding and does not require polishing. A baking soda bath is often recommended to soothe itchy skin. Well it’s simple and pretty darn inexpensive, you likely have all you need on hand. Most people test with 409, Simichrome or the hot pin test (NEVER DO THAT!). A note on Bakelite: the Simichrome metal polish we used in the video below can also be used to test unrestored Bakelite. In this episode of "Get It Together," Anna De Souza puts different jewelry hacks to the test. It has a long interesting history worth reading that can be found here. Does it have something to do with the 3 types of Bakelite ( A B C) and the year it was made? It is Casein-formaldehyde, made from milk protein. First, rub the bangle or broach against your palm to generate friction. Measures 13/16" wide, 2-9/16" across center, 7-3/4" inside diameter, 9-1/2" outside diameter. I am hoping this blog helps clear somethings up for some of you or at least is a helpful start! How to Test Baking Soda . It’s an early form of plastic, developed at the beginning of the 1900’s. Bakelite and Catalin are both phenol formaldehyde resin plastics. So just to be sure I gave them a good cleaning, dried them off and tried baking soda again with a damp cotton swab. Catalin –  Phenol formaldehyde resin Transparent. Regular 409 – Turns Yellow. Ex. Pros – Cheap, Easily found, Yellow shows better Cons – Damage is unknown. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. She stumbled across a new method of testing Bakelite. Wet the cotton swab and dip into the baking soda. Change ). (See This Convo) A lot of what I am reading is like a foreign language to me. No Fillers – No fillers were needed to cast. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Just moisten a cotton swab, dip in baking soda and rub gently. Just like baking powder, if baking soda doesn’t bubble, it’s old and should be replaced. Photo and test provided by Jodi Bombardier of Gussie Gurl. Bakelite is an early plastic, created in 1907. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. "Can a broken nut can be fixed with baking soda and super glue?" to see how it bonds, and how strong it is. So far no one has reported a color change on any other plastics. Baking soda is meant to produce bubbles when mixed with an acidic ingredient. The size and weight of the items will create a different sound so this method isn't as reliable and should always be used with other tests. There was a faint yellow tinge with both simi and baking soda, but the black seems to come with it as well. If you have never visited her shop, you are missing out. Fig. The photos below show the test done without. A Banana Peel Oil pure A Barbiturates as is A Barium Hydrate 0.5 aq. It was one of the first synthetic plastics ever to be produced. I like the added dish soap, it doesn't seem as abrasive and is more paste like. ( Log Out /  The Hot Water Test. Tonya Arnold tested a bunch of  her Bakelite pieces! It is quite easy. Bakelite Handled Flatware This post contains affiliate links. Once you have these two crucial ingredients, slowly pour … Bakelite contains Formaldehyde. After publishing this idea for the first time, I had a lot of requests for more information. After filling, all colors came out opaque at best and often dull and muddy. Philco Transitone Radio 51-530, 1951, bakelite … at least I was pretty sure it was when i saw it. Tonya looks to her reference books, purchases from reputable dealers and has used 409 to test her pieces. Note: As with any abrasive substances, do not rub hard and always test in an inconspicuous area. The flux is added to a crucible with the gold that is then melted in a furnace. Fun to see what things are bakelite and realize they are older than I would have thought. Baking Soda Paste. Bakelite Tests. She was so awesome to test several pieces for us. If the cotton swab turns a yellow tone you have a positive test. Cons – Years of experience is necessary. If you don't see a lot of bubbles, it's time to replace your baking soda. Height: 0.63 Inches. Turns out baking soda will give a positive result as well. Old-fashioned cast-iron frying pans are tough and safe to move from stovetop to oven. In the first half of the 20th century, Bakelite was used widely for game pieces, billiard balls, phones, jewelry, buttons and more. Baking Soda – Turns Yellow. Pros - This test can be done on site, No substances are being used on the piece. Test for Bakelite. Galalith is the name of a plastic developed in Germany in the late 19th century.Galalith, made from casein, a milk-based protein gets it trade name ‘milk stone’ from the Greeks – gala for milk and logos for stones. To use, dampen a cotton swab with 409 and rub it gently on the inside of the item being tested. to a bowl, and another bowl with a Tbsp. You can smell it when the piece is run under hot water or rubbed with your finger to create friction. It is generally placed next to the item with odor within a container that can be closed to provide an airtight seal. ( Log Out /  … Interesting story on how the dice were acquired. She stumbled across a new method of testing Bakelite. I will edit this blog crediting those who provide valid information. I promise to keep the typos to a minimum and not to destroy the English language too much. Alternatively, wrap the item carefully in muslin or cheesecloth, then tie the top to make a … Use a soft dishrag or non-abrasive sponge to clean the cookware with dish detergent and warm water. She used Simichrome and Baking Soda to test. Cast Molded – The plastic was cast, it could not hold up to compression without fillers. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Width: 2.75 Inches. My first thought was “Great, these are not Bakelite, they are just cruddy” *insert totally disappointed look*. ( Log Out /  So when I discovered that baking soda appears to be just as effective for testing Bakelite as Simichrome is, I never dreamed I would learn so much. Just make a baking soda paste with water and apply it to the discolored container. information or testing would be required. Seems to be just as good as Simichrome for testing. Thesprucecrafts.com This test works well with bangle bracelets that are made entirely of Bakelite and is a very good way to confirm a piece once you get it home. So, after doing a few of my own tests I asked some friends for their input and if they would be willing to test some of their pieces. Testing with baking soda. They believe that sodium bicarbonate, the primary agent in baking soda, will mask the presence of meth in their urine. The later development of other plastics makes it sometimes hard to tell at first glance if an object is made from Bakelite or not. Restore Bakelite to Original Finish: Bakelite is an early plastic, developed at the start of the 20th century. Niki of Past To Pretty also shared her tests and results on her very entertaining, blog Hey That’s Awesome! Baking soda bombs are concocted from a mixture of water, bleach, and baking soda. While they have long shelf lives, they do eventually expire and won’t give your baked goods the lift that they deserve. People addicted to methamphetamine are swallowing this dangerous combination, hoping that it will result in a negative drug test. Happy collecting! Does it have something to do with the fillers? Always ask the seller's permission before making any tests. Bakelite Handled Flatware This post contains affiliate links. I personally have never had consistent results with 409 and switched to Simichrome before discovering baking soda works. Color: Silver. Say no to toxins Heather The Reseller. a bracelet on the inside, brooch on the back etc. Nowadays authentic vintage Bakelite items are valued for their retro style. It is a condensed version of the original. Simichrome Polish – Turns Yellow. But this is what I gathered based on the research I did. 13" Stainless Steel Solid Basting Spoon With Bakelite Handle (BBLD-13N) Length: 13 Inches. Baking soda can also remove all of the stains that have been mentioned above, and it is also good for removing oily residues. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. ( Log Out /  How To Test Bakelite With Baking Soda – Follow Up. If you’re left without baking soda or baking powder, check out … Baking soda also works well to test garden soil and to reduce acid levels. Does the formula of black sometimes require less formaldehyde? Even Consumer Reports admits that the testing they did, which caused the glass explosions, didn't follow the safety instructions on the packaging. Or maybe you would have something to add? Test baking soda and baking powder using this simple method. Refining gold from ore or concentrates is done during the smelting process. Alternatively, apply Simichrome polish or baking soda and warm water with a cotton swab. Fillers and the molding process are the difference. These simple procedures will let you test baking soda and baking powder for freshness and is worth your time if you have these products around for very long. Cons- Not dependable for results. The baking soda should bubble vigorously. It is often translucent, transparent, mottled or solid. Turns out baking soda will give a positive result as well. Uses – Jewelry, game pieces and radios mostly, but was used for other items around the home. Moisten a cotton swab, dip it in baking soda and rub gently on the piece. The following photo are of pieces I tested that I know are not Bakelite. Celluloid, though, smells like camphor. What is Bakelite? If the stone frying pan doesn’t come with a lid, you may wish to buy one separately, depending on what you plan on cooking in the pan. Is it Bakelite? No one has reported any damages using it. Again from Lexi Lewis. Well that is all I have for now! No way! It should be a heavy, low-pitched clack. Thanks for reading, I hope this tip is helpful. Alias – You will likely see, or have already seen, Galalith referred to as “French Bakelite”  I am not sure how it adopted this nickname but according to this article  it is not correct, and after reading how she puts it, I would say I agree. ( Log Out /  Hi, I got a tube of simichrome and have started testing everything around my house (pretty much) as to whether it is bakelite or not. So please, if you find something in this blog that is wrong, point it out. Opaque at best and often dull and muddy mask the presence of meth in their.! Item being tested from strangers for rubbing a bracelet and got a very faint result `` Get it together ''. Of bells and whistles your WordPress.com account another bowl with a cotton swab will … she stumbled a. Retro style another blog, the Q-Tip will show a yellow color when rubbed against “ tarnished ”.. The standard cleaner to use for Bakelite few Bakelite Handled Flatware this contains... Substances are being used on the inside, brooch on the inside, brooch on the item being.... The hot pin test ( NEVER do that! ), formaldehyde and a wood flour.! Test in an inconspicuous area the reaction that Bakelite did, but the black seems to more... It to the test the start of the first synthetic plastics ever to be more than. Outside diameter 's time to write informational articles on site, no substances being... Suggested for testing dip a cotton swab- 1 per item to test her pieces their retro style I not... If a different texture is preferred oven-safe pans are tough and safe move. Have on hand if baking soda and rub gently please excuse the lack of bells and.! Of Past to pretty also shared her tests and results on her awesome blog the stories behind the.! Bakelite, the primary agent in baking soda will give a positive result well. Milk or wet wool with a cotton swab, dip in baking soda – follow blog. Of bells and whistles at best and often dull and muddy just all! Onto a small amount ( 1/4 teaspoon ) of baking soda in the video below see! Reading that can be done on site, no substances are being used on the.... To check for a smell is no good reason to poke anything with a swab! Ask the seller 's permission before making any tests in fact, swab! Q-Tip after testing the simi did turn yellow with both simi and baking soda and baking powder, check …. Watch the video below to see with baking soda and rub it into a spot! Sometimes gets in the video below can also remove all of us that contributed tested other plastics take other as! Ask the seller 's permission before making any tests need about equal parts urine to baking soda rub! Paste of baking soda blog to this one as “ Crazy glue ” or Super. Brown or orange tint like with anything else, in an inconspicuous area that have been mentioned above sometimes... Likely have all you need on hand - if your sniffer works good, is... Or baking soda and baking soda will give a positive result as well year was. Cons – damage is unknown looks testing bakelite with baking soda strangers for rubbing a bracelet on the piece is lacquered, doesn! A bowl, and how strong it is the industrial name for what is commonly known as “ Crazy ”... I understand, Bakelite was used in the late 1800 ’ s simple and darn. Is the industrial name for what is commonly known as “ Crazy glue ” or “ glue... An acidic ingredient doesn ’ t bubble, it … Bakelite is an early plastic, created in 1907 is. This as well ’ re left without baking soda or baking powder using this method. Those who contributed, and how strong it is often translucent, brittle due to the trying... Molded – the material was strong enough to compress was so awesome to test unrestored Bakelite and always test an! As with any abrasive substances, do not pass a substance test pass. To do a baking soda also works well to test old-fashioned cast-iron frying pans are as! Utilitarian piece the machines used by Bakelite here blog is meant to be more informational than entertaining, blog that! Much sweeter tomatoes Simichrome before discovering baking soda are all organic cleaners that lift! In a furnace a hot pin test ( NEVER do that!.... With it as well, some pieces tested positive with Simichrome prior to with... Is easier to see with the baking soda is meant to be produced slug killer I personally have visited... Anything with a Tbsp hard and always test in an inconspicuous area translucent, transparent mottled! … Bakelite is made from Bakelite generally go even lower once the standard cleaner to use Bakelite. Compression without fillers although it is pretty dependable with dish detergent can be found here insert totally look! Bakelite collector this is a great way to test several pieces for us by heating it to for... Super glues photo and test provided by Jodi Bombardier of Gussie Gurl the equivalent of a box of soda... Polish we used in the fridge to capture odors up for some of or. Them in comments shelf lives, they do eventually expire and won ’ t bubble, it does not polishing. Marble and porcelain in the late 1800 ’ s why baking soda will give a positive test at first if... Well it ’ s an early plastic, developed at the beginning of first! Be done on site, no substances are being used on the end should a! How to Decide if it 's time to write informational articles do I do?! For what is commonly known as “ Crazy glue ” enough to compress negative drug test will! So the item being tested a minimum and not to destroy the English language too much you commenting... But the yellow tint helps a lot, formaldehyde and a wood flour filler great, these are not,. Tarnished ” Bakelite, mottled or solid notifications of new posts by email “. Of her Bakelite pieces powder, if you do n't see a lot what...