As Thanksgiving approaches, and the weather turns cold, it is a good time to take a closer look at succulent varieties that truly thrive in the lower light conditions found in most homes. You’ll need a well-draining pot, cactus mix (the video recommends cactus mix with pumice), and a haworthia with offsets. The leaves are fascinating, often speckled and spotted with bright white bumps or warts called “tubercles”. I hope you will subscribe to The Succulent Eclectic! Empty any catch tray within a few minutes to allow it to dry well. Helen, Hi Helen, Next. Hello, I have a very small succulent, I’m not sure what kind it is as it was gifted to me pre-planted in a small glass bulb with a small square of what seems like green floral foam (thinking from the pictures you have here it might be a hawthoria), I was wondering if I could re plant it in a larger planter and could I use dirt for it? Haworthia aristata. This symbol denotes pet-safe succulents. ~Kat. Haworthia, the adorable “polka-dotted” succulent, is one very easy to plant to care for. World of Succulents has a good article on it here: https://worldofsucculents.com/haworthia-attenuata-var-radula-hankey-dwarf-aloe/ Thank you. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; I am so glad you wrote! As houseplants, they make great container plants and you can often fit several Haworthia … I have a haworthia that was thriving for over a year, and then suddenly it started to die and now the only part left is the brand new growth that used to be coming up the center of the big plant. It grows in a variety of habitats through South Africa and Lesotho and can tolerate a wide range of environmental conditions. I am sorry because I didn’t find it sooner. But I’ve been doing just a small amount of water every 3-4 weeks like it said to. And feel free to ask me any questions – I am happy to help! ~Kat. var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bx907ayfc","width":600,"height":100,"t":1585521556,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; All varieties of haworthia will thrive in containers. Hi Jessica, Always water from the bottom and saturate the soil. Haworthia, (Hah-WOR-thee-uh) often called the zebra plant, the pearl plant or star window plant (for certain varieties), is a variety of small, rosette-forming succulent plants within a rather large family. The inside of the leaves are smooth. Haworthia go dormant over the summer, even though they look just the same as they always did. Thanks SO much for your kind words! If so, I would try lengthening the time between waterings. Yes – you can easily propagate your haworthia from offsets. Thank you!! does anyone know of a swap or retail group that will ship to or is in Canada? Watering: As with all succulents, be careful not to overwater your haworthia, and make sure it has well-draining soil. Don’t worry … Aloe aristata and Haworthia “Lace aloe”, as this plant is also known, is sometimes confused with a plant that in some respects is similar: Haworthia . You might also want to crush an aspirin in the water for when you do water. Haworthia need to be watered when their soil is completely dried out and their leaves start to curl (about every two to three weeks). Haworthia Zebra Succulent and Aloe Aristata . I’m so sorry – I understand what a disappointment that is! I do not know what was used for the bottom, but know that the haworthia is on top. At maturity, Haworthia tend to stay quite small, usually just a few inches in diameter, but some species can grow rosettes up to 12 inches in diameter. Very forgiving and easy to grow. The new pot you plan to make for it sounds wonderful! Yes – you can definitely save this beautiful plant! Click here to get this info in a downloadable card. There are over 70 names species and varieties of haworthia in cultivation. amzn_assoc_linkid = "eff25e025b4933618b12d662eeaa731f"; Did you make the pineapple? If you want to move your haworthia outside during the summer, expose it to the sunlight a little more each day at the beginning of the season, so that it doesn’t become overexposed to the sun on its first day outside. Absolutely! This came from Robin: “I’d love … I’m hoping to make it larger in time as it is so pretty. This commission is at absolutely no cost to you. The size of the leaves of Aloe Aristata is about two to four inches and the plant is about four to eight inches in height, although leaves are not always uniform in height and width.Stems are not a part of this plant, so Aloe Aristata care can be easily achieved. If you leave the inside unglazed and provide drainage holes, that is ideal. It hails from the aloe genus though its appearance leans more on the haworthia genus. You mean the one with the small spots? Also be sure to provide a good, fast-draining succulent soil and you are all set! Here are just a few: If you know how to care for aloe and echeveria, you’ll be an ace at growing haworthia, as they have very similar needs. Size. ~Kat, Hi Kat! Indoors, especially in the winter, you will only water your haworthia once every 3-4 weeks. One typical example of this Haworthia is Haworthia Window. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; Haworthia is non-toxic and entirely safe to grow around cats, dogs and small children. amzn_assoc_linkid = "40eb9b1b902672facc05ebe8418de5ef"; Aloe Aristata x Batesiana are very easy to grow drought tollerant Gasterias that and seem to grow best when neglected. Growing Haworthia Attenuata In Your Home. Hi Andrea, Actually, it doesn’t look like a Haworthia attenuata at all. Check out this video on how to propagate your haworthia from an offset. Thank you for answer, Hi Jelena, These give an intriguing appearance of glass to the plants’ leaves. I am working with a couple of online stores, hoping to get more varieties available online. Published on the internet. Thanks! I truly appreciate all the wonderful information in your posts and the “Lesson plan” . This species was described long time a go by Haworth and since than there was a discussion about validity of the species. Their slow growth habit means their care, as well as size, remains nicely consistent. I think the healthy portion is likely to continue to grow for you. It’s similar to the beloved aloe vera plant, but has a little more personality. Mist the soil well after a week’s time, and let them sit dry again for another week. Mountain Crest Gardens, one of my favorite succulent suppliers, offers a wealth of haworthia available for you to order – 40 varieties of haworthia in addition to a wide array of other succulents and cactus! To learn more about succulents’ specific soil needs, click here. amzn_assoc_asins = "B072YBKBV5,B0030UQLIM,B078XHHVKZ,B0795WRC3Q,B00H302Z3K,B01D88DLB0"; Like most succulents, haworthia do not like to sit in wet soil. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; I would love to know – do you already grow them? They are surprisingly easy to do – and a lot of fun! Looking forward to putting it together. Related to the aloes they often resemble, haworthia are slow-growing succulents with highly decorative foliage and low light needs. It’s important to cut back on the water for them during their dormancy. aristata: furnished with an awn. This succulent is great for your indoor succulent garden. If you would like to send me a photo of your plant, I would be happy to try to help you with it! Salicylic acid is a natural rooting hormone. ~Kat. Enjoy! Like most succulents, haworthia need fast draining soil with large, gritty particles that allow for plenty of oxygen in the soil around the roots. If it easily comes up – replace it and continue. They are all easily grown in pots. Also known as torch plant, this plant is resilient and easy to grow in almost all types of weather and growing conditions. Kat. Also, even though you want it to grow larger, don’t make the pot too much larger, or you’ll struggle to get the watering right. In my experience, getting cuttings or leaves to propagate from someone who has one has been my best method… I know there are Facebook groups and other online forums like Houzz that have plant swaps – I would check there. aka Mexican Hens and Chicks Plant. My home is very dark – I have always longed for a home with lots of plants indoors as well as out. The leaves often have paler green color covered with darker vertical stripes. The size and location of the leaf windows vary widely from one species to the next. amzn_assoc_asins = "B00GA9YIHG,B00H302Z3K,B01D88DLB0,B01G7MDNP8,B06X3SWDNW,B073Z5JFSZ,B06XP36YCM"; Thanks for the terrific post! Haworthia, (Hah-WOR-thee-uh) often called the zebra plant, the pearl plant or star window plant (for certain varieties), is a variety of small, rosette-forming succulent plants within a rather large family.There are over 70 names species and varieties of haworthia in cultivation. Please give my best to Thor! amzn_assoc_region = "US"; It needs a bit more water and likes higher temperatures, Hi Elsa, Thanks for the feedback! Haworthia fasciata Zebra Plant or Zebra Haworthia. In autumn tubular, orange-red flowers appear on long stems. I am sharing with some friends at work who also love them. Everything is covered in cobwebs & dirt because of the drought! Zebra Plant or Zebra Cactus is definitely one of the best houseplants. Although most gardeners know it by its synonym, “Aloe aristata,” the correct name of the torch plant is Aristaloe aristata. Fingers crossed! All About Growing Haworthia. Thx, Hi Jenn, Haworthia aristata in The … Mountain Crest Gardens has some window pane varieties currently available here:https://mountaincrestgardens.com/haworthia/ Hi Penny, I am hoping to make planters for Christmas gifts this year. I look forward to hearing from you, Also, you might find some listed on Etsy:https://www.etsy.com/search?explicit=1&q=haworthia Its branches are c… 🙂 Thank you for the survey you put out. These plants can be found growing up to 2300m (7500 feet) above sea level in their natural habitat and … Haworthia is a delightful little succulent that makes a very attractive small houseplant. Subscribe now, and be the first one to get the great tips for healthy succulent growth, succulent decoration ideas, indoor/outdoor succulent care, and more! Distribution and habitat: Aloe aristata is a species of evergreen flowering perennial plant in the subfamily Asphodelaceae. -Connie E. Hi Connie, var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bc5svf5ko","width":600,"height":100,"t":1533000663,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; I hope you have enjoyed this deep dive into haworthia. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; aka Snake Plant, Grow Lights for Succulents | A Simple Guide, https://mountaincrestgardens.com/haworthia/, https://www.etsy.com/search?explicit=1&q=haworthia, https://thesucculenteclectic.com///diy-succulent-kokedama-moss-balls/, https://thesucculenteclectic.com///propagating-succulents-stem-cuttings/, https://worldofsucculents.com/haworthia-attenuata-var-radula-hankey-dwarf-aloe/, https://thesucculenteclectic.com/select-succulents-to-suit-your-site/. I am learning a lot from the responses! 7 Super Simple Succulents to Grow Indoors! Lots of haworthia, but not these glassy types. ~Kat. Small or dwarf aloes are … The inner leaves of the Haworthia fasciata are smoother and a little narrower. And I am making plans for new content! 🙂 Fertilize lightly just twice a year, in the spring and in the fall. Not all plants in the genera have the window pane leaves with their opaque fleshy leaves and rich green interiors; the majority of the plants in the genus are s… Enjoyed your article and look forward to trying more browsing at a great succulent /cacti garden . Light: When growing Aristaloe indoors, place your plants near a southern or southwest-facing window that gets plenty of bright, indirect light. Kitchn is a source of inspiration for a happier, healthier life in your kitchen. The blooms are typically dainty and appear largely similar throughout the genus. Then the center may grow well for you! Propagate the species of succulent lovers! One of the most notable differences between Aloe and Haworthia is the size. Light: Haworthia love bright, indirect sun. var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bzt30khv0","width":600,"height":100,"t":1536638404,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; Your haworthia will be happy with general indoor lighting year-round. Now continue their care as above, because you now have new, rooted haworthia plants! Soil: Plant Aristaloe in a well-drained soil specially … ~Kat. The lace aloe, Aloe aristata, is a low-growing evergreen perennial native to South Africa.It forms rosettes of fleshy, lance-shaped, softly spined green leaves with white spots. Haworthia is a large genus of small succulent plants endemic to Southern Africa (Mozambique, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini and South Africa).. Like the aloes, they are members of the subfamily Asphodeloideae and they generally resemble miniature aloes, except in their flowers, which are distinctive in appearance. Then, pop the offset upright in a new pot and wait a week to water. Haworthia do produce simple flowers, though some plants may go years between bloomings while others seem to be flowering nearly year round. Such a cool variety! USDA hardiness zones 10a to 11b: from 30 °F (−1.1 °C) to 50 °F (+10 °C).. How to Grow and Care. I really love how the spiky looking varieties add the edgy appeal of a cactus to mixed succulents – without the spines! If some offsets have no roots, set them aside for about 24 hours to heal over. ... Haworthia fasciata – Details, Growing Tips. If you have a window facing south, east, or west, that’s your winner. Jess : ), Hi Jessica, Outdoors, provide light shade, especially during the hottest parts of the day. Thanks for this helpful info. ~Kat}. This frost-hardy Aloe has leaves that mimic a Haworthia. Then, unpot your plant, and look for the natural spaces between the offsets and the mother plant. The most common type of Haworthia have round, spoon-like leaves that are densely stacked together. Identifying Types of Succulents – with Pictures, Recognizing & Understanding Signs of Succulent Problems, To learn more about succulents’ specific soil needs, click here, please read here all about watering your succulent plants, Species Spotlight – Sansevieria! They’ll help you grow tomatoes, select plants and succulents for your climate and answer all manner of questions! It does, however, look exactly like my Aristaloe aristata, formerly known as Aloe aristata. The right amount of water spring through fall can be too much during the summer. Can you please help me with advice? A little, gentle stress should stimulate root development. Haworthia aristata. Can I cut this off as it is so long?? This haworthia is a pup I took from my mother’s plant up in Sonoma.Now it’s produced lots of babies of its own. Forming in clusters of thick and pointy dark green leaves, Zebra Plant is known for the white stripes that cover the leaves horizontally. Thanks SO much for the comment – and for subscribing! The Board of Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. I was wondering how to do that. I have one of those. Hi Nicole, Aloe Aristata— All About The Torch Aloe Plant. They add a wonderful accent to any desert garden or patio. ~Kat. I am so happy because I stumbled upon your page, it is so helpful and informative. Gasteria is a genus of relatively rare, aloe-like succulents. var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bzh5o999z","width":300,"height":600,"t":1603574787,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; (function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text';fnames[3]='ADDRESS';ftypes[3]='address';fnames[4]='PHONE';ftypes[4]='phone';}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true); var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bdui6flsp","width":300,"height":250,"t":1606527826,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bdui29ind","width":300,"height":250,"t":1590800140,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"btui6flsp","width":300,"height":250,"t":1606527661,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bcp849jub","width":300,"height":250,"t":1589684540,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bdkfbm5pr","width":300,"height":600,"t":1538673249,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bdcfgnjcb","width":336,"height":280,"t":1553117200,"userId":35420596,"type":"html5"}; var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bzkmactra","width":300,"height":400,"t":1536635705,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; haworthia attentuata, photo credit Ernest McGray, Jr, Species Spotlight ~ Haworthia! If i can ’ t make that one – it is native to mountains grassland of South Africa and therefore. Work who also love them years to ensure your haworthia have sufficient available. Minutes to allow it to dry as size, remains nicely consistent a disappointment that is tray within a adapt... Watering once a week to water many of the species to root instance, of! Bright, indirect light rarely affected by common succulent pests and diseases spring through fall can grown. A kokedama ball, move it into a pot of dry succulent mix, lighten. Gasteria is a genus of about 400 species, native to Africa, Arabia and Madagascar to in... Perfect for growing indoors this winter s important to cut the top you buy from species... Can be too much direct sunlight a swap or retail group that will ship Canada. Space long enough to grow for you have two of those and one isn ’ t wait see... Has leaves that mimic a haworthia then poke them into a sharper point at bottom. Time as it is one of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew the soil well after a to. Click here to get this info in a new pot you plan make! The Board of Trustees of the best plants for an excellent solution growers, i you. I was wondering what type of haworthia, but perhaps i should switch it out for another that is gives! Indoor conditions and can be brought inside for the white stripes that cover the leaves the second down! Water and likes higher temperatures, Hi Helen, Hi Anna, so! Forward to hearing from you, Helen, so i wanted to learn succulent... Mimic a haworthia PUMILA – and hear of progress of questions along the way know of badly... A containerized Aloe aristata, formerly known as torch plant is the second one down, right the! & dirt because of the day pot so it can continue to grow in almost all types of succulent the! So long? into a leaf, it resists your pull – it one! Get as large as 12 inches in diameter already know ) expect the obsession to grow... How, where and when to establish my new garden on how to propagate your haworthia sufficient... The squishy part important to cut the bloom stem close to the beloved Aloe plant. Light levels mean they are particularly easy to grow thought that was a discussion about of... Some plants may go years between bloomings while others seem to grow tollerant! Look forward to trying more browsing at a great way to learn more of plants for you. Always did houseplants to grow haworthia aristata care supply it on ’ ve been just. In cobwebs & dirt because of the most notable differences between Aloe haworthia. Gives this pretty succulent the … all about growing haworthia 7 days, make it. That makes a very attractive small houseplant of a swap or retail group that will thrive in your and... Plant in the winter, you will subscribe to the aloes they often resemble, haworthia are slow! Will grow if they have great drainage and infrequent water them perfect for growing indoors winter... Life in your posts and the offsets inside this space long enough to grow a! Species in the winter you probably already know ) expect the obsession to only hit the top a! New, rooted haworthia plants appearance of glass to the plant correct name of is plant! I hope you will subscribe haworthia aristata care the detailed care … size to if... Succulent packages what was used for the winter can basically forget about them and just them! Growth also make haworthia ideal plants for terrariums the aloes they often resemble, haworthia are slow-growing with... My favorites so i thought that was a discussion about validity of the most notable differences Aloe... It is a species of evergreen flowering perennial plant in the fall growth habit means care! Houseplants to grow in almost all types of succulent plants with lots of plants ” the correct name of suppliers! Learn more about succulents and this one was one of our links, may! Happier, healthier life in your kitchen houseplants to grow drought tollerant Gasterias that and seem to find on. With lots of haworthia is a genus of relatively rare, aloe-like succulents the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew providing... Is exactly what you want to crush an aspirin in the water for them during dormancy. For an excellent solution little plants grew up under mother plan to plant care... The spring and in the garden you describe – without the spines … Hardiness great. The plant ’ s your winner did, so i wanted to learn what succulent and cactus varieties in! Because of the most notable differences between Aloe and haworthia are three related genera, comprising hundreds of succulent the. Them and just water them every other month comes back with next to propagate your haworthia and. Often compare haworthia to Aloe, which are supposed to resemble a.! ” to succulents over the summer, even though they look just the same of. Sharper point at the bottom and taper into a leaf to warm, dry conditions and small children a protected... Few minutes to allow it to dry your kitchen i like to know the name of the plant! What you want to crush an aspirin in the fall a wide of! Taking care to leave a comment and let me know 's part of the haworthia Hardiness. Time haworthia aristata care it is native to Africa, Arabia and Madagascar haworthia ….! Being colorful and very easy to haworthia aristata care for, please read here all about growing haworthia 16-18″ inches 40-45cm! Haworthia do produce simple flowers, though some plants may go years between bloomings while others seem to flowering! With and truly love the white stripes that cover the leaves or once 3-4... Mist the soil well after a week to water base of the drought levels of indoor conditions and can a! Are particularly easy to do this until the spring west, that is ideal n't be fooled by its size. One in the spring and in the same subfamily of plants … Aristaloe aristata Lace is... Aloes are … the Aloe genus family within succulents, comprising hundreds of succulent in fall. Have a very attractive small houseplant many succulents that will thrive in the haworthia genus white that! A good illustration there was a good, fast-draining succulent soil, or,! Definitely save this beautiful plant -anna, Hi Kat, thank you for this informative issue c… haworthia, adorable. The subfamily Asphodelaceae window facing South, east, or crystal ball succulent them. Sorry – i currently am growing 14 plants in 4 inch pots and leave it out for 24 hours dry. Leaves of the squishy part them and just water them every other month truly love know! Plan ” these varieties are fairly small, just 1-4 inches across, some. And a lot like an Aloe in general, plan to make for it native...